In 1822, the Orthodox Congregational Society occupied a brick meeting house located on the town common. In late 1852 they voted to build a new meeting house and dedicated the church on November 16, 1854. The large pipe organ in the building was a gift of William Carpenter, a principal in the Union Straw Works, but the name Bethany was not attached to the church until 1894. In the 1930s, Ben Bristol had the pipe organ rebuilt in memory of his wife, Gertrude L. Rexford Bristol. In 1954, Bruce Barton gave the Barton Chapel as a memorial for his wife, Esther Barton.