Foxborough Common was the physical and philosophical center of the community since being 'set aside' in 1783. The area became overgrown several times in its early life until a private group, the Sylvanian Association, was formed in 1857 to beautify the area. The group raised funds, laid out the walkways, planted trees, and erected a flagpole. The cast iron fence was cast at Cary's Foundry on Mill Street. When it was necessary to secure a new pattern to cast new sections of the aged fence, it was decided to solicit public support for the project, much as the Sylvanian Association had done originally. Donations were sufficient to also fabricate and install replicas of the original lanterns on the Common.