One requirement to an area being considered for incorporation as a town was to have a Meeting House. Foxborough residents pooled their meager resources to create a meeting house in 1763 on what would later become Foxborough Common. Originally the building lacked windows and doors but was described by one resident as "better than worshiping on the naked hills." The area’s petition to incorporate was repeatedly submitted and rejected until 1778 when it passed and the area officially became the town of Foxborough. The Centennial Stone on the Common marks the general location of the Meeting House’s front entrance.