The Charles James Fox memorial originally stood behind the Boyden library on Bird Street, but was recently relocated to the corner of South and Liberty streets when the library expanded. When Foxborough was incorporated on June 10, 1778 residents took no part in naming the new town. Instead, that responsibility belonged to the state legislature. News had just reached the Colonies of yet another impassioned presentation before Parliament by Charles James Fox, who was unrelenting in his support for those desiring independence. It was decided that he would be a fitting choice and that the new community would be named Foxborough.