In March of 1864 the subject of a public library was considered by the town, but no action was taken or would be until the close of the Civil War and the later construction of Memorial Hall. In December of 1870, the Boyden Public Library was established and assigned to Memorial Hall. The library was named in honor of Uriah Atherton Boyden. Memorial Hall remained home to the library until the late 1960s when a growing town outgrew the library. Construction began on the new public library at the corner of Bird and Baker streets and the building was completed in 1967. An expansion was recently completed with the library reopening in the summer of 2013.