After being incorporated in 1778, voters asked the Selectmen to create and fund school districts in town. Four outlying districts were created with another representing the center of town. The Paine School was constructed in 1795 at the intersection of Central and Spring Streets and named for the many Paine family members that lived in the area. By 1870 the original structure was too small to service the growing community and a new school was constructed just east of the original building. In 2006 the original 1795 school was moved to an area behind the Foxborough Town Hall and restored. The circa 1870 school building still stands on Spring Street and serves as a private home.