By 1851, the small Center Burial ground (corner of South and Central Streets) had become almost fully occupied and the Foxborough Cemetery Corporation was organized to find suitable sites for a new cemetery. In 1852 thirteen acres of land off South Street along the edge of Cocasset Lake were purchased and the grounds were to be called Rockhill Cemetery. By 1853 Rock Hill Street was being built to create access to the site and the grounds had been organized with lots and avenues. In the late 1880s two additional land parcels were purchased and provided two entrances along South Street to the cemetery. In 1894 the Carpenter Memorial Chapel was built as a memorial to Emeline and Richard Carpenter.