The first meeting of the Cocasset No. 1 Fire Company took place in December of 1850 and E.P. Carpenter was chosen as chairman. In January of 1851 they marched to the depot at the end of Bird Street to accept delivery of a new Hunneman engine. Since the new pumper was christened Cocasset No. 1, the men later agreed to change the name of the company to Foxboro No. 1 to avoid any confusion. In 1872 the company purchased a steamer that represented state-of-the-art protection. Built in Pawtucket Rhode Island, it was powerful enough to spray water to the top of Bethany Church’s steeple if operating with a full head of steam. Both pieces of equipment are still owned by the town and are on display in the Steamer Shed behind Memorial Hall.