When the legislature approved the creation of a Foxborough Water Supply district in 1879, the majority of homes in town relied on a well and water quality varied by location. Worse, a failed well meant no water. By 1891 construction commenced with the creation of a pumping station at the southwest end of Neponset Reservoir and the laying of pipe in downtown areas. A standpipe measuring roughly 22 feet in diameter and 100 feet high was constructed at the end of Glenwood Avenue. Up to 284,000 gallons of water could be pumped into the pipe and then gravity fed to area homes. The standpipe was removed during World War 2.